In the summer, we all know how uncomfortable a hot home can be. With summer being right around the corner, it is a good idea to prepare your home for the heat. Continue reading for 10 ways to keep your home cool this summer.
- Switch to LED light bulbs. LED bulbs produce less heat and use up to 75% less energy than incandescent light bulbs, saving you money at the same time.
- Use ceiling, portable desk, and floor fans to circulate air, making your home feel cooler.
- Light bulbs give off heat when they’re being used. Add light dimmers and occupancy sensors so your light bulbs turn off when you’re not in the room.
- Block the sun’s heat from your home by installing solar screens, window tinting, or shutters.
- Buy an air conditioner ahead of time. If you buy a window AC unit, make sure to insulate around it.
- Plant trees and bushes outside your home to create shade.
- Reduce the use of appliances, and unplug the ones you are not using.
- Minimalize your kitchen use throughout the day. A helpful tip is to meal prep in the morning or night when temperatures are cooler.
- Wet your patio floor. Evaporation naturally cools the air.
- Weather strip doors and windows to keep outside heat from coming in, and keep your cool air from your AC from seeping out.